Ramps — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ramps

MIKE100
MIKE100 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
can anybody out there please advise what the best ramp is to get from my front gate down onto the footpath as I have just got a mobility scooter but at the moment it is in my back garden has I cannot get out of front gate, I have CP and have contacted local OT about having a ramp fitted but at the moment there is not a case worker available so I thought rather than letting my scooter go to waste I would see about a ramp as a temporary measure in the mean time so I can at least get out

any advice would be appreciated

MIKE100

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    edited June 2017

Hi Mike100

That's an interesting question but one that it isn't possible to give a simple answer too without more information as there are so many potential variables. For example how many steps does the ramp need to cover (height/width),  will the ramp be fixed or will it need to be moved when it isn't in use (reasons for removing would include to avoid it being a hazard on the public path or getting stolen). If you need to move it the weight that you or the person moving it can manage is an issue, as is storage potentially. There is also a wide price range.

Getting a OT assessment is the best course of action but if you can't weight I will try to give you some pointers if I can. A photo of the area that needs ramping and the width/weight of the scooter would also be very useful. You can post here or email me at helpline@scope.org.uk (please mark your email for my attention)

Best Wishes

Jean Merrilees

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.