Employment support — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Employment support

museholic Member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm 33 working in materials management for a manufacturing company. I have a physical disability in my leg due to kts. I am site leader for our companies people with disability network. I am looking for information on how people in my organisation can get support or who can help support regarding disabilities. 


  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @museholic and welcome to the community.

    Are you aware of Access to Work? https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

    What type of support are you looking for?

    Sometimes support can be as simple as using the company intranet, if you have one, to set up a group and help celebrate what those with disability contribute. During Autism Awareness Week I did a blog, for our disability network, about being a father to a bright autistic daughter. It was well received and some parents with autistic children/young people made themselves known. It is easy to forget that a colleague who does not have a disability can sometimes need a little support as well.

    I currently work with a small team but it is one of the most diverse I have knowingly worked with. It works well because as a group we understand if someone suddenly needs time off, or work from home, and will look to support one another rather than complain about each other. For the last few years the team has supported the Mencap's Learning Disability Work Experience Week, often offering two weeks work experience.

    If there is something I can help with I would be delighted to help you, if I don't know the answer I am sure someone in our network will have some solutions.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @museholic,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

    As @Geoark mentions, it may be worth looking into Access to Work. We have more information about the scheme on our website, here.

    We also have a list of employment organisations which may be able to offer help and support. You can find out more about work organisations here, and organisations which offer support here.

    I have also moved this discussion into our employment issues category, where other members of the community may be able to advise.

    I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please do get in touch!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.