Housing benefit changing for under 35s? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit changing for under 35s?

Options
tan
tan Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Had anyone hard about this new benefit thing for under 35s changing? Something about April under 35s might meet the short fall and not get it 

Comments

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @tan. Thanks for posting. Can you provide a bit more detail about what you heard? Do you know where you heard it? Did you read about it in a newspaper for example? Thanks.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    That link states nothing new. It was up until a few years ago, that you could get the one bedroom rate rate at 25, which they then changed.
  • tan
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I saw it on gov. Com but I don't no if I got it confused with private renting it didn't really make it very clear and I could not find a lot of information on it all I found is it will come in April but I don't no if it the April that gone or next April my best choice I would be asking. Gateway to home choice as they did mention something on their site about it 
  • Geoark
    Options
    @tan in general if your landlord is not the local council or housing association then it will most likely be private renting. Even with some councils and housing associations there will be private rented properties in their portfolio, though rents are usually a lot higher and more in line with the local private rent market.

The change came in April 2017, I could be wrong, but it is in effect now.

Unless there is a change in policy the same/similar rules will apply to social housing on April 1st 2018.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Debbie_Scope do you know anything about this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Options

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi all,

This research briefing might help explain things in more depth.

"The Shared Accommodation Rate (SAR, previously the Shared Room Rate) was introduced in 1996 and originally limited the Housing Benefit that a single person under the age of 25 living in the private rented sector could receive to the average rent level charged for a room in a shared house. With effect from January 2012 the SAR was extended to cover single claimants up to age 35. The move to apply LHA rates to Housing Benefit claimants living in the social rented sector means that the SAR will also apply to council and housing association tenants under the age of 35 from April 2019 if they are in receipt of Universal Credit, or if their tenancy began or was renewed after April 2016. The SAR will not apply to under-35s living in supported housing."

It's as @nystagmite and @geoark have said above, the rules have been around for under 35's in the private sector for a while and those rules will be extended to social housing from next year. Unless there's a policy change.

Turn2us has a great Benefit Changes timetable and this can be really helpful finding out when a benefit changed or is going to change. 

I hope this has helped @tan ?

Have a good day everyone

Debbie
  • tan
    Options
    Thank you it has helped I think this is what I got confused about :

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.