Dreading winter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Dreading winter

Hi I live in a landlord house its location is perfect for me living near my family the problem is the house is hard to heat no insulation single glazed wooden framed windows the oil heating tends to break down alot I suffer from mental illness and my anxiety is threw the roof worrying about the winter is there anyone out there can advise me what to do before things get bad again 


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niamhlaura

    I suggest you buy a traditional, small, 2-bar electric fire for supplementary heating.  There are some on Amazon, with customer reviews.  I recommend: Fine Elements Model HEA1100 2-bar ceramic heater, if it's still available.

    You could hang heavy curtains, and maybe get some plastic sheeting, cut it to window frame size and pin it to the inside frames leaving a bit free so you can open the windows if required.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 220 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Niamhlaura

    There is some useful advice in our fuel bills section. Hope this helps, Alex
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niamhlaura we lived in a very cold oil heated house and ended up getting electric blankets to warm the beds.

    Just be aware that with these or the electric fire suggested above that it will have a cost impact on your bills.

    Would your landlord consider improving the insulation and heating in the house?
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Niamhlaura and welcome to the community.

    When you say you are living in a landlord house, do you have sole residency or is it shared with others and does this include the landlord?

    Your options can vary depending on the type of tenancy you have.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Niamhlaura
    Niamhlaura Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just me and my daughter live at home the house is owned by a landlord managed by a letting agency 

  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Niamhlaura,

    Take a look at the information about Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).
    It could be possible to get a DFG for a heating system suitable for your needs. 
    It might be difficult living in privately rented accommodation because you need to be living in the property for the 5 year grant period and landlords aren't always open to fixing a tenancy for this long or allowing adaptations to the property. It's worth following up though.

    There might also be some help available from your energy supplier in energy saving improvements to the home.

    I hope this helps and good luck.

    Best wishes


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.