Income related ESA, PIP , Shaw Trust — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Income related ESA, PIP , Shaw Trust

Sue52 Member Posts: 78 Courageous
Hi all, My Name is Sue and I have just joined as I am so confused about what I should be entitled to and where to go next . Long story  cut short :)
I have always worked in finance since I was 17, three years ago I was diagnosed with RA in my wrists. I carried on working (excel spreadsheets, continuous typing etc, work was being really unhelpful). Also have osteoporosis since I was 37 , does not cause any issues to be honest.  

Oct 2016 I went of sick with "low esteem and Sero Negative Arthritis and have been of since then. lately have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my lower back which causes great pain, i get up in the morning and walk like a little old lady :P)

I was awarded PIP of £55.20 per week so it is on the lower scale in July of last year.
SSP finished on 25/05/2017 and now am claiming ESA at a rate of £73.10 per week whilst in the assessment stage.
My questions are:

Got a questionnaire the other day about the severe disability element but after checking it says that if i have a non dependant living with me I will not be entitled (I have my 24 year old daughter living with me, and she literally does everything, from hoovering, lifting the heavy dishes from the oven, washing, drying and straightening my hair, shaking out the duvets etc ..

From what i have read i will not be entitled to the disability element which is fine. I am now in touch with a charity called Shaw Trust who basically work with people who have a "disability" but want to return to work. 

They basically will help re-train me so I am not sitting on a computer all day in something completely different. They basically offer a local company to pay my wages for 26 weeks and that will help me re-train in a different area. 

My question is if I go with this and they will pay me for 16 hours work a week at a rate of £7.50 per hour how is that going to affect my ESA, PIP , HOUSING BENEFIT, COUNCIL TAX .. 

Sorry pretty random but I am so confused and just need some help with this 

take care all 



  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sue52

    A very big welcome to our website & online community.

    I do hope that we can help you with your current situation ???

    We do have a Benefits Advisor who would be perfect for you.

    I can point you in the right direction if that would help ???

    Please please let me know if this would be off help ???

  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Your PIP won't be affected. This based on your care and /or mobility needs. You can claim this whether you work or not.
  • dogfather
    dogfather Member Posts: 61 Connected
    Sue why can't your current employer provide equipment so you can return to work in your current role? There are desks that rise so you can stand at a workstation! This is covered by the equality act 2010. Reasonable adjustments.
    Re ESA I believe you have to work less than £16 hours per week, you can earn £120 per week for 52 weeks if you are placed in the WRAG or no time limit if in the support group. Sorry I don't know about housing benefit / council tax, your local council should be able to help with that question. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.