ESA help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA help

wend55
wend55 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,Im on income support añd SDA, suddenly got a letter to say I would be rung up then consequently have to fill form in to go onto ESA.IM generally so poorly with several disabling conditions that I can't talk and also suffer cognitive brain symptoms.
Is there another option than talking on tel,for this 1st stage,anyone know PLEASE? Thank you. W.

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Can you get someone else to talk on the phone for you?
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @wend55 I found this on a website called Sense. These are notes to help you fill in the ESA50. If you can get someone to help you get the form unless it is sent automatically or can be downloaded off the internet there is a section on page 3 that applies to you. Good Luck.
    Answer all of these standard questions.

Page 1: This page contains the guidance for filling out the ESA50, and recommends that you set aside enough time to fill out the form fully as it may take some time.

Page 2: Fill out all of your basic details such as name, address, date of birth and national insurance number.

Page 3: You do not have to give a telephone number relating to 'face to face assessments'. If you can't talk on the phone you can give a support worker or carer's number. Otherwise you can state 'in writing please'

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi wend55

The DWP should provide a home visit to you if you cannot access the telephone. If you need this I suggest you write back to the address at the top of the letter you have received explaining the difficulties you have with speech.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• ish
    ish Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi is it possible to get esa when living with a partner that works
  • dogfather
    dogfather Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Yes you can get ESA if your partner works, if you have used up all your SSP you can claim contribution based ESA, this is based on your National insurance record. You will be sent for an assessment, after the assessment you either be told you are fit for work, ( have to claim job seekers) placed in the WRAG ( work related activity group) where they think your condition may improve in the next 12 months. If you are placed in the Support group you stay on this benefit till pension age or reassessment by DWP. I think the stat is only 9% of people end up in the support group.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi ish, yes, you can get contributory ESA if your partner works. If you are placed in the work-related activity group following assessment, then as dogfather says you will stop getting contributory ESA after 12 months. If you are placed in the support group, it can carry on.

You can't get income-related ESA if your partner works 24 hours or more. 

wend55, I hope you are able to do what my colleague David has suggested. I'd also point out to the DWP, if you are still having problems, that they are in breach of the Equality Act 2010 if they don't provide you with an accessible way to claim ESA.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.