ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Can a couple both claim ESA?


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi cazzie,

    Yes, definitely. A couple could claim two lots of contributory ESA if they have both worked in the past and paid enough national insurance. For income-related ESA, if you live with a partner you always have to claim it as a couple. You can decide which of you is the main claimant. Income-related ESA can be paid on top of contributory ESA, or it might be paid by itself.

    I'd be careful though, because if one of you is also a carer for the other, income support may be a better benefit to claim as your income-based benefit (the benefit you get due to a low income). And in some areas, you will have to claim Universal Credit as the income-based benefit, if you are making a new claim.

    Do get back to us if you want more advice.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.