Scatica — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


franco69 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all thought i had to write some one i have had serious proplem with my back it stops from working and self employed and i need to able to sit down and i cant . I had surgery to be told i have a slip disc . Im scared to to apply for benefits but have worked all my life and just wanted to know how do you go about it . I have been in and out of the doctors surgery for quote some time and had an oerpation and found out i have a slipt disc . But i will be on the bread line soon and really want to find out what to do next . please advise would be great start . 

Thank you 


  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @franco69  and welcome to the community.

    You can find out what benefits you might be entitled to here:

    There are three main benefits, Job Seekers Allowance - for those looking for work, Employment and Support Allowance - for those unable to work, Universal credit which combines a number of benefits including ESA and JSA.

    First of all you need to see if you are in a Universal Credit full service area.
    go to

    If your local job centre is listed with an astrix it is a full service area and you will need to apply for universal credit. If you are single then you will probably need to apply for universal credit anyway. 

    Once you have sorted out which benefit you are applying for you need to initially call a number, which one can be found at

    Sorry, while it is supposed to be simplified with Universal Credit it is a bit more complicated during the transition period to this benefit.

    Alternatively if you need to call the ESA number, they should check where you live and your circumstances and give you the correct number if it is wrong.

    If you do have to claim Universal Credit I believe there is a six week waiting period, and the claim can take a little longer, so the sooner you claim the sooner the benefits will start. 

    @BenefitsTrainingCo is there anything I have missed?

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @franco69 welcome to the community.

    @Geoark is one of our brilliant community champions and has given a great run down in his reply.

    I just want to add that you shouldnt be feeling guilty about applying for support in your time of need.  My husband is self employed and so I understand the pressure you are under if you can't work.  But there is support available, so do have a look into it.  As Geoark says, the benefits calculator is a great place to start.

    Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :)
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.