Fine on my ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fine on my ESA

Options
Chubby
Chubby Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm sure the answer will be obvious but I'm just running it past you.
I'm on ESA even though, according to them, I don't have any health problems. I do - but I didn't receive any points on the assessment list. I'd have thought that they would immediately give me jobseekers or the like, but I received the TITLE of ESA holder, and the minimum living allowance of £73.10 per week.
The thing is I then got a really cheery fine for throwing a ciggy but into a drain instead of the bin - for £800. This is not a misprint. So now they have to penalise me to the tune of £22.20 per fortnight.
 After getting up off the floor I rationalised to myself that considering I was getting the smallest amount deemed livable on already, surely they can't take that too, otherwise they'd basically be insuring I find an illegal way of surviving, 'cos what else could I possibly do?
I'm getting on for 60, worked most of my life manual labour - hence my back being buggered, and as if it's not embarrassing enough having to ask them for the **** amount I'm entitled to, but to be then have a huge chunk removed. I was in a shop last week and I actually considered stealing a packet of marge - I've never stolen in my life and I was so ashamed I'd thought of it.
Anyway, I've got an appointment on Tuesday, and I'm wondering of anyone knows whether they could take that money off me each week until the £800 is paid, or do they have a cut off point where they can't take any more?
One good thing came out of it though. I've given ip smoking!!
Any-one any ideas?
Jill

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Jill,

It's hard to say what is going on here. You might be on ESA but if you started the process of claiming it on or after 3 April 2017, it's the same as JSA anyway - £73.10. Or you might be on JSA, but with a note that you had been claiming ESA and that may affect what the Jobcentre say you have to do to keep getting benefit (ie, do you have to look for work etc?)

If you have a court fine that I'm afraid yes, that can be deducted from JSA or ESA. The amount seems high though - it's normally £5 a week for a court fine. I'd suggest having a look at your award notice/decision letter to see whether perhaps you have any other deductions being made. And maybe get some money advice locally - I'm not sure if this is a direct deduction that's being taken by the DWP and passed to the court, or whether the court have told you to pay this amount? 

The £22.20 deduction would usually be for repayment of tax credit overpayment or self-assessment tax debts, not a fine.

Does this shed any light on things?

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.