stairs at atos medical could be a problem — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

stairs at atos medical could be a problem

ocdman
ocdman Community member Posts: 58 Connected
Im not sure yet ,as ive only looked at photos online of the place where im due to have my medical ,plus its next Tuesday so its to close to rearrange and I want it to go ahead anyway to get it over with but I think there is a possibility that there might be stairs involved to the assessment room. If there is not there is no problem but if there is stairs that would mean I would have problems  going up and down eg pain /weakness/unable to safely go up and down them because of lower spinal problems . 
 I said on the form that I have problems with stairs and said id need ground floor etc but you know what these people are like. Ive heard that  if I do navigate the stairs then atos could argue it was my choice and therefore can do it , but then ive also heard that a refusal by me could result in claim being refused. So do activity and say im in pain or refuse because of safety ?

Hypothetical I know at moment and ill feel stupid if I turn up and there are no stairs but id be grateful for advice as it will help with my  mental prep etc .

Thanks David

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Hello @ocdman ,

If they fail to accommodate your needs so that you cannot access their services equally to a non-disabled person then that is discrimination.

It's very unlikely to happen as they would know the legal consequences. If it does then take photos with your phone.
  • ocdman
    Thanks markmywords ,

Would refusing and gathering evidence be preferable to carrying activity out but complaining all the way through doing activity ? Im wondering what the most advisable way to avoid the rejection from the DWP would be  ?  If it came to it and the carrying out the activity in pain but complaining etc would be less risky than refusing , I think I would do it . In the long run the sanction is the most painful . 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @ocdman

@Markmywords is right.

The responsibility for carrying out the assessment is Atos's.  They should make sure that assessment rooms are accessible.   They'd be foolish not to - a real own goal when they receive enough complaints as it is.

Why do you think there might be stairs?  I suggest that you phone the Atos helpline and ask if there will be stairs at the centre.

I also understand that, anyway, DWP do not count ability to use stairs as part of the criteria for PIP mobility points (don't ask me why).

If it helps, I've not heard of any attendee having to use stairs to reach an assessment room.

A benefits advisor will be able to give more info.

• ocdman
    Thanks Matilda, I think there might be stairs because I can see upstairs widows open , its a physio centre small reception downstairs very local just not sure if there is a back room downstairs. In my form I say pain going up and down stairs and I asked for no stairs . Im just worried , its to near to date to start phoning dwp or atos im just going to turn up and do my best. Just being a bit obsessive I know.

David
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Can you phone the centre directly and ask?
  • ocdman
    I could do  Nystagmite ,but its not going to stop me from turning up and either taking or not taking assessment . I just want it over and done with . Also im not sure the place is always got staff in as its small and the head office of the group is a couple of miles away and the staff there might give me the wrong info.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    If they bounce you back to the DWP @ocdman because you couldn't get to an inaccessible room you could actually sue them.

I successfully had the venue changed to another one due to accessibility concerns.

If you can't get up the stairs then just tell them that.

I complained to the DWP once and they wrote back and said "We are sorry you feel that way." It was not looked into at all so I would not bother complaining.

I really can't see a venue without a lift being used though. I doubt you will have a problem.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.