Accessible traveler: Srin Madipalli talks holidays and travel — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible traveler: Srin Madipalli talks holidays and travel

SrinMadipalli
SrinMadipalli Community member Posts: 5 Connected

Srin Madipalli is the disabled entrepreneur and CEO at Accomable, the leading booking platform for accessible hotel rooms and holiday rentals with more than 1,100 accessible properties available worldwide. 

As someone who works in accessible travel, I often get asked where are the best places to go for disabled travellers.

I am extremely lucky to have travelled to some far flung places, like Bali, where I tried adapted SCUBA diving and stayed at the incredible accessible Villa G complete with pool hoist. Highly recommended if you’re up for a little adventure!

disabled man scuba diving

But more often than not, some of my favourite places are a little closer to home – either a cool stay in London, where I grew up, a relaxing idyll in the countryside, or a fun city break in Europe.

Here are some of my tips on where to go:

Try Barcelona for a cool accessible city break

People are often surprised at how accessible Barcelona is. I love Barcelona! The tourism board has injected a huge amount of money into ensuring the city is accessible and it really shows – pretty much all of the museums and attractions are wheelchair friendly, there are accessible paths along the beach; and it’s easy to get around.

barcelona travel in a wheelchair

Along with visiting the city’s well known sights – Gaudi’s magnificent cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, the Gothic Quarter and the beach, Barcelona is also great as a city to hang out and soak up the lively Catalan culture. Stroll through the atmospheric streets (all accessible), and you’ll find fantastic tapas bars and cafes where you can stop for an icy caña (small beer) or a coffee.

I recommend staying at MICs Sant Jordi – a favourite with our customers – for its excellent accessible facilities, great value price, and easy access to the metro system, which is also brilliantly accessible.

I also always enjoy travelling to Holland, Belgium and Germany, as they have great accessible stays, infrastructure and things to do. In Amsterdam, for example, you can choose from accessible canal boat rides and specially adapted bikes so you can explore the city like a local. Many of the city’s famous museums, including my favourite, the beautiful Rijksmuseum, are also accessible.

Go designer on a UK staycation

If you want to treat yourself to some luxury, there are some gorgeous accessible stays here in the UK. I love Annie’s eco-log cabin near Shropshire – built in the  traditional Finnish style with an outdoor firepit, it’s a great place to savour long summer nights on the terrace.

I was lucky enough to visit the Calf Shed this year, a brilliantly adapted designer pad in the midst of the Wiltshire countryside. The views from the floor to ceiling windows are jaw dropping. If you can bring yourself to leave, Salisbury and Stonehenge are just a scenic drive away.

accessible holidays in the uk

Adventurous staycations

If you’re looking for something that’s a bit different, there are lots of fun, accessible options too. We have some accessible yurts in Dorset listed that I’m keen to try and there’s a fantastic fully adapted canal boat you can commandeer just outside of London that has great reviews.

accessible holidays to niagara

For our team away day this year, we visited the Calvert Trust, which has something for everyone. If you have kids (or are a big kid like me) make a beeline for the zipwire. It’s awesome. Though you may need to beat me to it first…Discover more than 1,100 fully verified accessible stays at Accomable – visit www.accomable.com or call 0203 409 6773

Tell us about your summer plans! Are you going on holiday? Are you having a staycation? Where is your favourite place to go? How accessible are your holidays? What can be done to improve travel for disabled people?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.