Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Confused with new benefits system
Hiya everyone. Myself and my fiancé apllied for esa earlier this year due to my fiancé having back problems due to a course he was put on before he met me by our local job centre. Only when we went for the appointment for our claim we discovered that we're not on esa, universal credit which is causing us numerous problems and its also causing us to struggle with our budget as we're used to getting paid every two weeks (as we were on income based jsa) which was manageable for us, but since we've been put on universal credit the monthly wait for our payments is a huge struggle as we're having to borrow from our families mire which is leaving us with less money each month. Plus so far since we joined universal credit we've had 3 budgeting advances to help tie us over to our next pay day.
- 54.1K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 156 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 797 Work and employment
- 589 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 292 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 707 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 937 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.