Benfits / pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benfits / pip

Kim Bailey
Kim Bailey Member Posts: 4 Listener
While waiting for pip I lost all money debt 1.000 rent arrears paying to court now council say I owe 359.overpayment hb iam on universal credit and after they take out what's owed i have 135 for a mth to get food electric gas me and twins age 18 carers I get but no other benefits 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Kim BaileyKim Bailey,

    What stage are you at with waiting for PIP? Have you put the forms in? It might be worth making a complaint to the DWP about the delay if that has caused the problems you've got. 

    It would be worth talking to an adviser locally if you can (eg Citizens Advice), or you could try the calculator on to see if there are any other benefits you are missing. Because of your rent arrears I'd really recommend talking to an adviser face to face if possible, to make sure the HB overpayment has been calculated correctly (unfortunately, HB overpayments do happen when people move to UC, but it's hard to check them without seeing all the paperwork).

    With the twins being aged 18 it would be useful to check the whole circumstances - eg whether they are still included in your UC claim or whether they can start claiming anything in their own right.

    If you are getting carer's allowance, a carer's element should be included in your UC.

    Also if you are not already claiming it, do check if you are entitled to any help with the council tax (council tax reduction or council tax support).

    Some councils also have emergency welfare schemes which you can apply to, especially now whilst you are waiting for PIP.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.