Inhumane Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inhumane Universal Credit

lindaH
lindaH Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2017 in Universal Credit (UC)
I want to highlight the cruel system of Universal Credit that is about to get rolled out in every major city before long. I used to be on working tax credit on the limited capability element. When I moved out of Bristol, I moved to a small town where they now have UC up and running.( Due to my life long mental health issues and physical disadvantages, I cannot work full time.) On this new system, there is no longer any financial help for people in my position. I can only work 16 hours a week, and on the old system, I received some financial support through WTC. The new UC system has nothing put in place apart from PIP, Personal Independent  Payment, which is extremely hard to get as you need to be severely disabled or mentally impaired to be eligible.
  Our government has pledged to help people with mental health problems and yet, on this UC benefit- there is simply nothing for people in my position. I now have to live just off the £440 a month I earn. This has caused me so mush anxiety and depression that my mental health is far worse! I am willing to work! I want to work! But now feel punished , not supported.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.