Is it ok to volunteer and do an nvq when on ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it ok to volunteer and do an nvq when on ESA?

sillyducks
sillyducks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. 
Just joined up and saying hello! I'm Cally

Comments

• sillyducks
    sillyducks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Just looking to find out some information on training and volunteering whilst on ESA (support group).
    I m trying to find out if it is ok to volunteer and do an nvq, I have been offered the chance to do the nvq where I voluntee and whilst deciding if  I feel ready and able to attempt wanted to know if it's ok whilst on esa.
    It would mem volunteering 16 hours a week but still unpaid and all in house training.
    Thanks to anyone that might be able to help. 

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should consider whether the work you are doing contravenes the reasons you are claiming ESA.

As an example, a person claiming reduced mobility would not be advised to volunteer to deliver leaflets.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sillyducks

Welcome to the gang, I do hope that we can help you ????

I have attached the below info on Benefits on our site.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/benefits
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sillyducks

@Debbie_Scope can you help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Cally

As a general rule volunteering does not affect ESA, unless as CockneyRebel points out, it is evidence of a change of circumstances.

Full time study is only allowed for income related ESA if you also get a disability benefit such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If your NVQ is level 3 or below and the guided learning hours in the learning agreement are more than 16 per week, then the course will be deemed to be full time and you will need a disability benefit. If it is less than or no more than 16 hours per week of guided learning then it will be part time and there will be no affect on ESA whether or not you get PIP.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.