Pension credit - increased threshold? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension credit - increased threshold?

Options
Lydali
Lydali Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, this is my first post.
I am dealing with my parents' finances.  Mum is 68 and Dad is 70.

Background:
Dad gets no benefits, and a low pension.
Mum has been on DLA for years but only at £20 per week.  I reapplied due to her declining health and since June she has been in receipt of PIP, enhanced mobility and care. They collected a mobility car last week so will now just receive the care element.

Although their income was low, it was not quite low enough for Pension Credits.  I'm told that as she now receives PIP, the threshold for Pension Credits goes up. Is this true? If so, does anyone know what the threshold is for them now? I just want to know what their weekly income should be in order to successfully claim, and if it is worthwhile applying.

They are keen to get Pension Credits so that they qualify for free dental treatment.  The benefits that they currently get don't qualify them for that, but if they got Pension Credits it would.

Thank you :)

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome
    First suggestion is to put their details into one of the online benefit calculators
    second, have you applied for an HC2 certificate for them?
     If they have limited savings and a low income they may qualify
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Lydali
    Lydali Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I will look for an online benefit calculator, thank you.  

They completed an HC2 form only in the last few months having paid a fortune in dental treatments in recent years.  I'm now worried that their slightly increased income (only by £60 pw) may null and void this.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Lydali

I hope the on line calculator was useful.

When you talked about the Pension Credit 'threshold' this can vary from person to person depending on their circumstances.  This is why it can be difficult to give a straight answer to a simple question. However from what you have described I would expect that your dad could be classed as a carer for your mum. This can then increase the 'threshold'. But, the carer must claim Carers Allowance for looking after a person. If a person receives a state pension the DWP will however look to see which is the higher of the 2 (carers allowance or state pension) and award the higher benefit only. But, even if Carers Allowance is not awarded as state pension is a higher amount of entitlement they will still be classed as  a carer for benefit purposes which in turn increase the 'threshold' of Pension Credit. This is confusing, and I go back to the start when I said it is difficult to give a straight answer to a simple question.

As they live together, your dad being classed as a carer for your mum will not effect her PIP entitlement. 

Please post again if you need more advice.

Kind regards 
    Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.