Benefits questions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits questions

Options
Hogan57
Hogan57 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
How claim ESA on low rate care high rate mobility wife was career for our son for 25+years he was taken off DLA wife was told she not able claim careers for me de to low rate care JC old her for me to et sick paper &claim ESA for us both i 60 yes wife59

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Hogan and welcome

Have you out your details into an online benefits calculator ? there is one on here
    If you have any questions please just ask

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hogan57 welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the Benefits Advisor category so I hope you can get some support soon.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Hogan57

If there is no entitlement to Income Support for you or your wife (as Carers) then it is right that you should make a joint claim for ESA.

What I think you need to check in the scenario you describe, is whether your son's rejection of PIP is correct - if you haven't done so already, request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to see what the DWP reasoning was - if you agree with it, fair enough, continue with the joint claim for ESA, however you may wish to appeal.

Don't forget to keep Housing Benefit informed of what is happening - there should be no gaps there as it doesn't matter to them what benefit you are on, as long as they know what your income/capital is.

Hope this helps - do let us know if you need some advice on appealing though!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.