ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


laurel Member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi - my partner is on ESA support group and PIP enhanced both rates. He has a severe, enduring psychotic disorder and the ESA is due for renewal at the end of the year. He has never had a medical as his mental health team have always emphasised it would be seriously detrimental to his mental state to have one wherever held. He would perceive a medical as a threat and I couldn't guarantee the safety of anyone when he becomes agitated. He is under the CMHT and has a CPA. What I'm asking is do you think there is anything else that would help and do you think it is enough to avoid a medical? Our MP has also offered to help if necessary.There will be lots of recent medical evidence to back the ESA claim


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Laurel

    Unlike PIP, ESA has no end date.  So when you said that ESA is up for renewal, where exactly has this information come from? The only way (generally) a person knows that they are being re-assessed is when they receive an ESA50 form which is the form that ask a person to describe the difficulties they have with certain tasks e.g. socialising, carrying out tasks, walking.  Has your partner received this form?

    In addition ESA can still make decisions without a person attending a medical.  It is therefore worth putting the medical evidence you have with the ESA50 form, and importantly medical evidence that explains that he CANNOT attend a medical without it having a severe and detrimental impact on his health and others maybe at risk.  This may resolve the issue, but please post again if your partner is ever asked to attend a medical.

    I hope this helps


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • laurel
    laurel Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you very much. Much appreciated
    Laurel x


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.