ESA PAYMENTS WHILST APPEAL TO A TRIBUNAL — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA PAYMENTS WHILST APPEAL TO A TRIBUNAL

cakey3747
cakey3747 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I've recently sent in a returns form for a reconsideration which has gone to a tribunal for my ESA appeal. I am or will I receive ESA payments from the DWP whilst on a appeal ? If so how long does it take before the ESA payments are restarted ? 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @cakey3747

There is an important distinction to be made here between a reconsideration and an appeal - if it's a reconsideration request to the DWP there will be no ESA payable.

If you have sent your appeal form (SSCS1) to the Tribunals Service, with a copy of the DWP Mandatory Reconsideration decision, then the ESA can be re-started as soon as the Tribunals Service have notified the DWP that the appeal has been logged - this normally takes around 2 weeks from when you send it. This doesn't happen automatically though.

From 10-14 days after you sent the decision, you therefore need to start calling the DWP to see if they have received the notification from the Tribunals Service. Once they have, ask them to re-start the payments.

I'm assuming this is a reconsideration in medical grounds by the way. If it's to do with late submission of forms, failing to attend, etc, then no ESA will be paid.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.