DLA to PIP after 23 years — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

DLA to PIP after 23 years

Brokenman Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello all,
   I suffer from a condition called Post traumatic brain injury syndrome,and just received my pip claim form after 23 years on DLA. The amount of pressure I feel to get things right on the form is unbelievable. When you have a brain injury nothing is visible unless it has effected your limbs somehow. So it's the same old thing "He looks alright so therefore he must be".I can see it coming now. So much for our lying P.M saying many times that the government are going to help those with mental health problems more. So their way of helping is to make the tests and forms so complicated you need and English Teacher to decipher them for you. And even then it depends if you get someone on the day that knows anything at all about brain injuries, or whether they are the lollipop lady from down the road doing the assessments for a bit of pocket money.


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome Brokenman

    One of the most important things when applying for PIP is to try and understand the points system and the criteria for each of the descriptors. Have a look at the self test on the B&W site


    This will give you an understanding
    There is also lots of info on this site.

    Please come back with any questions and we will try and help as best we can

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger

    Disability Rights, CAB and Scope sites all have guides to claiming PIP.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    Hi @Brokenman, welcome
    I agree with all that @CockneyRebel says ^ here, but it might be worth adding that if youre suffering from cognitive disability due to your condition, and you dont understand how the descriptors system works, it would also be a good idea to get help. Someone from a local welfare rights group or your CAB would go through the application form with you and assist you to fill it in; they may even fill it out for you, as my advocate did. When I received my UC50 form early this year, I had no knowledge of the benefit system or how it worked, and I hadnt discovered this forum at that time, so I blithely filled it in and sent it back; now, I have no memory of what I wrote down, (I accidentally washed my copy of the document on a hot cycle) and I cringe when I think about what I may have written. Getting expert advice and help to fill in your pip claim form is never a bad idea mate.
    Good luck, hope it goes well for you.
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Brokenman

    A very big welcome to you !!!!

    I'm very very sorry to hear about your current predicament/situation.

    Yes having a "Brain Injury" means that you are forever having to "Justify your Disability's"

    I have to do mine on a "Daily Basis"

    I will pass your post onto our "Benefit Advisor" if that is ok ????

    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

    I'm so sorry but can you please help me with this post ????
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Member Posts: 40 Connected
    Over 25y here mate, so I know where your coming from.
    What I have learned so far is to say or write nothing without the advice of a benefits counselor.  Forums like this help big-time too.
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ClydeBuilt

    Yes you need to get advice from the "people in the know"

    It's all about jargon in the "game" nowadays as well.

    Yes forums like this make a real difference indeed.
  • Brokenman
    Brokenman Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Apologies benefittraing I missed your post
  • Brokenman
    Brokenman Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Well I've had the assessment Oct 19th still waiting for reply. I did ask the nurse. If she had any experience of Brain injuries and she said she had some experience but didn't work with them. Read into that what you want.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.