ESA, part time student, part time work? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA, part time student, part time work?

Hi, I'm currently on ESA (pre-assessment rate) and I'm starting a part time Open University course in October. It says online that you can still claim ESA if you are a part time student OR if you work part time, but doesn't say anything about if you study part time and work part time? I wondered if anyone could shed some light on this if possible please!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,450 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends if you're claiming Contribution based ESA or Income Related. If it's CB ESA then yes you can claim it but if it's Income Related, you'll only be able to recieve ESA if you're also recieving DLA/PIP. If you're on Income Related and you recieve a student load this will be classed as Income for ESA purposes (means tested benefits)

    As for working and claiming ESA you can do something called permitted work BUT you'll need to contact ESA for this and have their permission. If you're planning on working and it contradicts the reasons you're claim ESA then this will likely go against you at your face 2 face assessment.

    I would advice a visit to Citzens advice for further help with your questions.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    Part time students can't get a student loan; so most of the above isn't right. You won't need to be on PIP / DLA as a part time student to get ESA.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.