is it illegal to accuse disabled parents of being neglectfully abusive — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

is it illegal to accuse disabled parents of being neglectfully abusive

I have recently asked for help to look after my baby because of my disabilities and post natal depression..
I was given a M.A.S.H. referral to social services who are now saying they have raised a section 47 child protection act against me as they believe I am neglectfully abusing my 9 month baby and unborn baby because I am disabled and cannot get suitable housing and need help looking after my baby...
Is it illegal to say a person who happens to have a disability and needs help looking after their children is neglectful abuse ... where would I find this in the equality act 2010...?
I asked for help and now there is a risk my baby and unborn will be taken from me by Social services... What can I do...? Please help me


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Missiec76
    You can call the Scope Helpline on 0808 800 3333 to speak to someone about your problems.  It is important to get some support and advice on this as soon as possible, do you have any family support?
    Senior online community officer
  • clarabelle
    clarabelle Member Posts: 71 Courageous

    It's illegal... if they've raised cp it's unnecessary -  they can put your children in the category of children in need and are required to assess your needs.

    Under S17  of the CA it clearly state's  they can make direct payments to disabled parents. This is because the CA has been amended to come into line with the Care Act. 

    Adult Social care also have a responsibility to assess your needs in your own right ( including caring responsibilities) and the statutory requirements both in the social services act and childre's act  and care act suggest a joint assessment. 

    Ask for a copy of the LA's policy on 'enabling disabled parents' and also their policy and  joint working protocol  for CS and ASC. 

    Your housing needs should be assessed under thsee 3 pieces of law and you can request an assessment for a disable facilities Grant. This assessment should assess the suitability of the property in terms of your disability and your caring role. 

     My advice would be to get supporting letters from your GP , midwife & any specialists. Put everything in writing, keep copies, have an advocate present at meeting's and record everything. 

    Your LA are statutory bound to provide advocacy services for disabled people so check their should be an advocacy agency in your area. 

    Good luck.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.