Joint ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Joint ESA claim

denisep Member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm getting married next month.  I'm currently in work but my fiance is in receipt of ESA (support group), SDP and PIP enhanced daily living and standard mobility.  I am giving up work when he moves in with me at the end of September as he will need me to be at home with him, and we have an ESA3 form to fill in so he can make a joint claim for ESA.  I was wondering if I need to claim carer's allowance as I am still of working age or if he can just go ahead and make the joint claim.


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello denisep

    and congratulations :)

    Try putting your details into an online benefit calculator.

    Moving in together can cause changes in benefits and may have an affect on your partners SDP


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • denisep
    denisep Member Posts: 3 Listener
    It's ok - I finally managed to get through to DWP. I have to claim carer's allowance as he would lose his SDP when he moves in. Then he can jmake joint claim
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats good, I wasn't 100% 

    Enjoy your big day

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @denisep

    For once the DWP have advised you correctly!

    You will receive the Carer's Allowance, and this will be deducted from the joint 'income-based' element of the claim. An additional 'Carer's Premium' will (or should) be added onto the joint 'income-based claim'.

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • denisep
    denisep Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you. Mary and CR. I'd tried Turn2Us benefits calculator but I don't think it worked properly because I was trying to anticipate the situation! I'm a tenancy support worker and deal a lot with benefits and DWP but I've never come across a client in my situation. Took me ages to get through but the young lady was really helpful. Thanks again ☺️


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.