Joint ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint ESA claim

denisep
denisep Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm getting married next month.  I'm currently in work but my fiance is in receipt of ESA (support group), SDP and PIP enhanced daily living and standard mobility.  I am giving up work when he moves in with me at the end of September as he will need me to be at home with him, and we have an ESA3 form to fill in so he can make a joint claim for ESA.  I was wondering if I need to claim carer's allowance as I am still of working age or if he can just go ahead and make the joint claim.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello denisep

and congratulations :)

Try putting your details into an online benefit calculator.

Moving in together can cause changes in benefits and may have an affect on your partners SDP

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • denisep
    It's ok - I finally managed to get through to DWP. I have to claim carer's allowance as he would lose his SDP when he moves in. Then he can jmake joint claim
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats good, I wasn't 100% 

Enjoy your big day

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @denisep

For once the DWP have advised you correctly!

You will receive the Carer's Allowance, and this will be deducted from the joint 'income-based' element of the claim. An additional 'Carer's Premium' will (or should) be added onto the joint 'income-based claim'.

Best wishes,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• denisep
    Thank you. Mary and CR. I'd tried Turn2Us benefits calculator but I don't think it worked properly because I was trying to anticipate the situation! I'm a tenancy support worker and deal a lot with benefits and DWP but I've never come across a client in my situation. Took me ages to get through but the young lady was really helpful. Thanks again ☺️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.