How much in savings can I have as I need to apply for ESA and Housing Benefit NOW — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How much in savings can I have as I need to apply for ESA and Housing Benefit NOW

1leglindy Member Posts: 4 Listener
I have returned to the Uk after moving to Spain in February 2017. I broke my ankle in spain was operated on but wanted to come back to the UK to be close to my family and friends. I applied for ESA but was refused on Contribution based method. I am now applying for Income Based ESA...I have hardly any money but have just received into my bank account a tax rebate of £800. My current account is maxed out to the limit of my overdraft facility. My debts are mounting eg. loans and credit card repayments, and I am living hand to mouth funded by loans from good friends and sister. I am staying with a family friend but due to my lack of mobility because of my broken ankle they have said I have to move out asap...what do I do and who do I go to for help and advice. On line is easier as I have no means of transport and mobility is limited to allow me to go anywhere. I know my case isn't as severe or desperate as some others but I really am floundering around and need a lifeline...thanks everyone


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @1leglindy -good name!

    The savings thresholds for most benefits are between £6,000 - £16,000. Once you go over the £6,000 mark your benefits start to decrease, and they also want to know about any property you have abroad - but your £800 won't cause you problems I don't think!

    Benefits wise, it'd be ESA in the short term and JSA (or more probably Universal Credit) in the longer term.

    As regards Housing Benefit, you can claim this for a private rented property once you have found one, however the amount you will receive will be determined by a number of factors, such as how many people live there, your age, etc. Here's a link where you can have a check. 

    Hope this helps!

    Kind regards,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • 1leglindy
    1leglindy Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Mary for your reply..... It has helped immensely. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.