Disabled housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled housing

tynant
tynant Community member Posts: 3 Listener
am I allowed a property with more bedrooms than I need in a council/ association property.providing it has everything I need in a property to suit my needs. But the councils own admission they do not have stock of a suitable property I need and no future plans to do so. They will not consider me for properties with more bedrooms than I need even though they are the only ones that have what I require. I have Been fighting this  decision with no success and they are putting policy before needs which is rediculas. My current property is causing great hardship and actually making my condition worst. I feel I cannot continue in my present situation and finding it very hard to cope. Many thanks

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Unfortunately they have to find properties suitable for all sorts and multi-bedroom properties are meant for families. Whilst it may be hard to accept they need to put families with children ahead of the disabled. I don't think, whatever my needs might be, I would want to deprive children of their needs. Kids are important and should be important to everyone.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • tynant
    I completely agree with children must come first every time and I never doubt that ever. I think you missed the point of my question. It's not about if I should come before children or anybody worst off than myself  as I wouldn't want that and wouldn't accept that either. Sometimes if a property becomes vacant and it has disabled adaptions and it's not out there for general occupation or people with children then does the persons needs come first or the building! Unfortunately adapted properties are not offered to families unless there is a member of the family that needs that type of adaption. So I am not asking about general housing but adapted homes that people need to live an easier life.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    The simple answer is no i'm afraid. Topkitten is right and hasn't missed your point. There's families out there that also need those adapted properties. These properties are very rare, i know this because i lived in one. When i got offered mine there was 3 other familes going for the same house. I was lucky enough to be the chosen one. It had 3 bedrooms and was exactly what i needed. Just because a person has a disability this doesn't mean they can have a house of their choice, even more so if it has more bedrooms than you need.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tynant
    Thank you both for your replies and appreciate everything you said. So what you saying is as there are no properties throughout my county both empty and tenanted that will suit my needs and my current property cannot be adapted I will never have a place to suit my needs. There are certain properties that would suit but as I mentioned have a bedroom more than I am registered for. It's not down to choice but what I need to survive daily in a property and being able to cope at home. If I were to include more personal information about my situation then perhaps it would explain and help understand better.
    its difficult to explain my true situation but will now leave this question and thank you again for taking the time to read and reply as appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm afraid it's not going to make any difference. You most certainly won't be the only person in your county that needs an adapted property. They can't just give you a property with more bedrooms than you need just because that property would make you life easier. I know that seems harsh but i'm just being honest. Housing for everyone, even those with health/mobility issues is the same in the whole country.

Some years ago my house i had at that time couldn't be adapted either BUT i still had to wait until a 3 bed adapted house became available. There was a 4 bed in my area at the time but there was no way they were going to let me have it because it was 1 bed too much. I know to you it seems harsh but unfortunately it's the way it is. Housing, whether it's adapted or not just isn't readily available.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    It's a very difficult situation. For myself I am in a council bungalow which has a wet room. However, it is in no way suitable for wheelchair use and that's what I could do with some of the time. Because I don't need to use a wheelchair ALL the time yet I am not entitled to a place that is more suitable for me. Because of the way it is designated I have a cupboard that is enormous so I have somewhere to store my spare wheelchair etc. but it doesn't class as a bedroom because it is just too small to fit a bed into. There are other factors as well.

When I found the place I thought I was lucky but as my situation continues to deteriorate it has become a prison.

It is unfortunate but if I need to move due to my health then I first have to prove that I need it, then go through the bidding process then wait my turn. Nothing is perfect and patience is absolutely necessary. Sometimes it's easier to just give up and put up with the difficulties. Other people are also entitled to their needs too. I do find it upsetting though when I see other people getting help that they don't really need but who are in a better situation and are able to be difficult to get what they want.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.