Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA advise please?

BoloBolo Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all, i am new to this site, and im looking for some advice, 
I claim esa for myself and my partner and children, we get child tax credits and i am also receiving dla, my partner is my career, our two children are in full time school and my partner wants to start working part time, could anyone advise me how this would affect my benefits please.


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Hi @Bolo

    A very very big welcome to you and your family.

    I will forward your post onto our Benefit Advisors.

    They will be best placed in helping you further.

    We have got lot's off info & advice on our home page.

  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bolo

    You can use the benefits calculator at entitledto - for information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Bolo

    As Sam suggest it will be a good idea to do a calculation based on your new circumstances.

    But to answer your question specifically...
    • Income related ESA would stop if your partner works 24 hours per week or more. If they work less than 24 hours income related ESA would go down because of the earnings and there's a good chance it would stop completely.
    • Contributory ESA would not be affected and will stay the same.
    • Your DLA would not be affected by your partner starting work.
    • Child Tax Credit would change according to level of income and some other circumstances. Working Tax Credit elements may be included. This will need a calculation.
    • If your partner gets Carer's Allowance it will stop if your partner earns more than £116 per week. If they earn no more than £116 Carer's Allowance can continue in full.
    I hope this helps.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.