Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

ESA isn't enough and PIP seems unlikely..

vivend Community member Posts: 1 Listener
So as a long term sufferer of depression,anxiety and everything that goes along with it, I  got ESA in my first attempt of applying some years ago, I lived okay, though I don't go outside and.. er, life's a bit difficult, wanting to work but being unable to. Then repairs around the home came about. (No hot water, no heating etc)
Anyway, erm. I tried to get PIP, and it seems maybe I'm not "bad enough" for it, after I was visited by the decision maker or.. whoever that was. Maybe I was just at my worst when I applied for ESA and now I'm showing less symptoms of what I suffer..
Now I've moved from my parents home after my stepdad attacked me in my room and bills are leaving me with almost £30 a month to spend on food. This is without using heating or anything for the month.

A lot of that isn't worth mentioning probably, but er..  I sent a mandatory reconsideration letter, but  didn't have the address of my decision letter, so I sent it to my local DWP office..
Now I'm sort of stuck in a limbo and starting to consider some "permitted work"? I don't see myself leaving the house for anything other than moving the bins on a good day and I can't keep a sleeping pattern for longer than 2 days so I don't know how that will work..

Anyway, erm, I think what I came here to ask was if there are jobs I can do at home that would fall under "permitted work"? Or is there perhaps a chance still that I might get PIP? I don't even know how I would let DWP know that I'm working 16 hours and not more.. unless they can see how much money goes to my bank.

My brother said that I won't be able to find work from home unless I do full time and came off benefits.
I want to one day be able to afford some sort of real therapy and possibly a car one day, I can't do that in my current situation


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello vivend and wwelcome

    PIP is possible but you need to understand the system. Try taking the self test

    This will give you an insight. How long ago was your decision letter ?
    MR should be sent within a month of the decision letter date. As you have sent a request it would be a good idea to ring them and ask if it is on the system. If not then you can submit a new claim as there is no waiting time.
    There is a lot of info on here and on the CAB website about PIP, have a look and come back with any questions


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    vivendvivend ,

    I agree with CR that you should think about PIP - you can get points for not being able to engage with people and sometimes for not being able to plan or follow journeys, for example. Do the self-test so that you have an idea of what you should have scored.  I'd follow up your MR request and see what has happened. If the decision isn't changed, consider appealing. If they haven't looked at your MR, send it in now (you would have to give reasons for being late, because usually the MR should be sent to the address on your decision letter, but there might be good reasons why you didn't have this).

    At this stage, claiming again is also good advice, because you can't 'backdate' your award, so if the MR or appeal isn't successful you lose time.

    As for permitted work, you should let the DWP know about any work you do. The two rules are to work under 16 hours and earn no more than £120 a week. Don't worry to much about how you show this - just report what you can, and if the DWP ask you for evidence, then supply it if it is available, and explain if it isn't available and supply something else (eg bank account evidence). 

    I don't think it's true at all that you can't find work at home which is part-time, but unfortunately I'm not the right person to advise you on how to find work. But as long as you tell the DWP, and keep within those limits, it is permitted work.

    You don't mention housing benefit or council tax support in your post, so I hope you are claiming these too? Permitted work doesn't affect your housing benefit at all, or your ESA. Be careful to avoid universal credit though, as it has different rules about work, and earnings are more likely to affect your benefit.

    It's hard to tell, because on the one hand you might be claiming everything you are entitled to (benefits aren't very much money), but on the other hand you might be missing out on something. You could try the Scope benefits calculator too.

    I hope this helps to get you started. I'd try both avenues (PIP and work). Finally, do you know whether you're in the support group for ESA? Or are you expected to do any work-related activity or go to work-related interviews? If you're not in the support group, it sounds as if it is worth asking to be moved to it, though this might involve another assessment.

    The Benefits Training Co:

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.