Universal credit or ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal credit or ESA?

I have been working 38 hrs per week .on advise from my Dr and hospital consultant need to cut my working hrs to 15/16 hours I have had problems with my back for 4, years firstly a disc prolapse of my lower back now have more problems .what is best benefits to claim to cut my working hrs to 15/16 to help me financially


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi vjonah. Sorry to hear about your back problems. There is no quick answer to your query, as there are a lot of things that will affect what you can claim. These include: where you live, how old you are, who you live with and their ages and incomes, your income, your housing situation, and what other benefits you might be claiming. The best idea might be for you to have a look at the Benefits Calculator which is part of this Scope website: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check
    If you run your details through the calculator, it will give you a very good idea of what you might be able to claim. If you need any further advice, then post again and we'll try and help. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.