Hi, my name is Chris_Uddin1968! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is Chris_Uddin1968!

Chris_Uddin1968 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I claim Carer's Allowance for my partner who is on DLA and my health is now getting poor as I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and wondered if I was able to make a claim in my own right without losing current benefit except losing the Carer's Allowance if the claim for DLA was successful, could anyone please advise what we can do and where we may stand, thank you all.


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Chris and welcome

    You can make a claim for PIP in your own right, it is a non income related benefit.
    As long as you still care for your partner for 35 hrs pw you can claim carers. It is possible for a couple to claim carers for each other if they can fulfull the requirements.
    You don't say what other benefits you claim which would be useful to know to advise you further

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chris_Uddin1968
    Chris_Uddin1968 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi cockney rebel, thanks for your reply, my partner gets eesa and DLA, I get carer's allowance, I've been considering applying for DLA myself since I've been diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia and soon I may need a carer too, hope this helps.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Does you partner get any part of ESA  income related ie. a top  up or full ESA(IR) claim ?
    or is it contribution based ?
    You can claim PIP without affecting your partners benefit but you may also be able to claim disability premium
    Try taking the self test on the B&W site


    hope that helps. Please come back with any questions and we will try and help


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.