I'm at my wits end — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I'm at my wits end

patsyp Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia over ten years ago. And I have now got to the point where I cannot hold down even a part time job. I am desperately getting to the point that I feel I will become homeless. I'm on UC but paid nothing, as my partner is retired and on government state pension. They say that is income to the household and we are not entitled to anything else, as we have too much income. I get PIP standard rate and that's it. Recently my partner applied for Carers allowance to support me. We do not get help with council tax etc... But I get to upset, stressed and worry so much about the future and how to cope. Which has a knock on effect to my condition. 
I now have really bad IBS and all that comes with Fibromyalgia...Can anyone advise please, I'm at my wits end.....  thank you 


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @patsyp

    Welcome to our online community & website.

    I'm very sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time.

    Yes I have had "chronic pain" since 2005.

    "Please Please" have a chat with me if that would help your current situation ????

    I'm "very very" happy in helping / advising you if that would help ?????

    Many thanks.

  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi patsy and welcome

    Can I first suggest that you put your details into an online benefits calculator, this will give you an idea of what you can claim.
    How long is your PIP award ?
    If your condition has got worse then you can submit a change of circumstance but this will mean a new assessment.

    Please come back with any questions

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @PatsyP,

    Welcome to the community. I hope we can help with your situation. 

    I've moved your post to our benefits advisors category.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi patsyp,

    Unfortunately apart from PIP any other entitlement is means-tested so it does come down to your level of income (and partner's income). If your income is low you may be entitled to help with your Council Tax, but because each Local Authority has its own scheme nowadays you should contact the Local Authority that covers the area in which you live for further advice.
    Apart from that, as CR says, you should use an online benefits calculator to find out if you are entitled to anything else.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.