Hi, my name is farah123! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is farah123!

farah123 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2017 in Education
Hi all,this is 1st time I am using any forum.
My son is 9 years old and he is diagnosed with Adhd and global developmental delay.
He got statement which is now changing into EHCP.
Currently he is attending opportunity base mainstream school. Is there any possibility if can get funding from LEA for special private school.
Your advice will be very helpful and thanks in advance.


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @farah123, welcome to the community!

    I've moved your post into our 'Ask a question about EHCP', so that our advisor will be able to see it and get in touch with you about any funding options. In the meantime, you might like to have a look at the existing discussions within the EHCP category. Hope this helps and have a lovely day!
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @farah123

    Laxmi Patel who heads up the Education Department at Boyes Turner Solicitors wrote an article about this in 2015 which had some points to consider:

    The following are important points to remember if you are seeking an independent school:

    • Costs calculations are crucial. Parents and the local authority must be absolutely certain of the costs of one another’s placement. It will normally be the local authority that presents the details of costs to the Tribunal so parents must be willing, and prepared, to challenge these if appropriate;
    • The independent school must carry additional benefits. These do not need to be just about education, but must relate to the child’s special educational needs (e.g. peer groups, socialising etc.);
    • If the independent school is more expensive that the mainstream school, the additional benefits are crucial. The more the expense, the more additional benefits would need to be ‘found’. These benefits will also need to be fundamental to the appropriate provision of education.
    • The independent school must be at least as suitable as the placement that the local authority are proposing, even if the independent school works out to be cheaper than the mainstream school (as a result of in-house therapies etc);
    • If the Tribunal finds that both schools are ‘adequate’, but the mainstream school is ‘more’ suitable, the mainstream school will likely be named. This is because the Tribunal will be expected to go with what it considers more suitable; and
    • Cases have found that a costs difference of £5,000 is very unlikely to be viewed as being ‘unreasonable public expenditure’, provided that the independent school is suitable.

    You can find out about schools in your local area by looking on the Local Offer website which details all aspects of education, health and social care for children and young people age 0-25 with SEN and disabilities (do an internet search for local offer and your area).Some areas have a number of special schools but no private ones, other areas will have a mix of state and private special schools. The main thing is to find the provision which you think will best support your son.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.