A long overdue apology, and a reason to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A long overdue apology, and a reason to take everything you hear with a pinch of salt

Options
Dexterp91
Dexterp91 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Back in school, I was probably 15 or 16? I get called away from class by the physio department because they need help with something. I was essentially the outlier of my school. The one with CP who could walk talk, and question.

So, I get to the department, and I walk in to find a couple who had just been told their baby had CP. I was then asked some very scripted questions which made it sound like I live a normal happy life. That I'd go out on my own or with friends, that I was enjoying everything life had to offer. I basically lied to this couple, I told them everything they wanted to hear. I spent most of my childhood in intensive therapies after surgery, I didn't mention that though.. I didn't mention how depressed and how lonely I was. So yeah, do you value false hope? I dunno? I didn't willingly put myself into the position I was forced in, nor was I willingly lying. But, it's something I have felt guilty about ever since.

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    You are too hard on yourself. You were manipulated by someone in authority.

It's not fair to expect a 15/16 year old to have a fully developed moral code and also the strength to stand by it.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dexterp91
    I agree with @Markmywords I think you are being too hard on yourself.  That was a lot of pressure to put on a young person.

But you know what? Maybe they needed to hear a bit of optimism at that time? Perhaps you gave them hope and a different perspective? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    You were 15.

On the flip side, I'm sure no-one would want to hear from another person with the same condition, (talking in general) that their child's life will probably be awful and they won't be able to do a lot. I certain wouldn't.

This comes up quite often on a few Facebook groups. The problem is, as with most things, you've got people who do live a virtually normal life and then you've got those who have multiple health issues who'd struggle with many things.

I'm not sure at 15 whether I could have really said anything. It does put you in an awkward position.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.