Housing debt and disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing debt and disability

missblaylock Member Posts: 1 Listener
i was in a bad relationship years ago and my ex left me in about 2,000 housing debt I now have a 16 year old son with epilepsy and a 5 month old daughter with a rare genetic disorder, which means we don't know if she will walk or not ! Is there any funding that can help pay this off as I am desperate and am living in a private rented that is costing way to much xxx


  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @missblaylock

    Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about your situation.

    It might be worth using our benefit check and grants search to see if there's any support available.

    @Debbie_Scope - do you have any advice?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @missblaylock,

    Sorry to hear about your rent arrears. Are the arrears from your current home? Do you have a payment plan to clear the arrears?

    Have a look at the information from National Debtline about rent arrears. If you have other debts too it's even more important to get some advice, especially if you're struggling financially.

    The arrears might not be a complete barrier as long as you address them somehow, which is why debt advice is needed first.

    It's worth trying for grants too just so you're covering all angles.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Best wishes

  • saramichelle
    saramichelle Member Posts: 4 Listener
    So sorry you are going through this,I know all about bad relationships and debt you get left with when I married a compulsive gambler.Look up grants on your local council website,they give grants and loans to clear debts especially for someone like you,you would definitely qualify.I also had £5000 of debt a couple of years ago and when a debt recovery agency contacted me I explained my financial situation and they agreed repayments of £1 a month which was such a relief.Also could you try and prove your in debt because of him? Write to them and tell them all about your life and your children as I told them about my partners illness and some of the money was written off.I rang and kept putting the phone down until I got a women on the line.They would understand about your children a lot more than a man.Hope this helps you sort this out.It's unfair and u deserve so much better.Take care and good luck;bless you.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.