Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Heating allowances?

LukaLuka Member Posts: 1 Listener
How do I go about getting the heating allowance ?


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Luka and welcome

    Which heating allowance are you refering to ?
    Is it the warm homes discount or the age related one ?

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Luka welcome to the community, here is a bit of information I found on heating allowances.

    The Winter Fuel Payment

    You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 August 1953.

    This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

    Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

    You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

    Cold weather payment

    You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits.

    You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.

    The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November to 31 March. Check if you can get a payment in your area.

    Warm Home discount

    There are 2 ways to qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme:

    How you apply for the Warm Home Discount Scheme depends on how you qualify for the discount.

    Contact the Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234 for independent, expert advice on energy saving.

    More ideas on keeping fuel bills down.

    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.