PIP lies — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP lies

judith11
judith11 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Only just discovered this group and already sure you are going to be invaluable. I was swapped from dla to pip earlier this year, having ben on low rate care and high rate mobility due to 4 different pain and muscle conditions leaving me practically unable to walk. I had received high rate mobility for several years and my health had significantly gone downhill since the last review due to acquiring thyroid tumours and chronic Atrial fibrillation amongst other issues. I was awarded high rate care and low rate mobility due basically tothe interviewer lying. She stated I could walk inside over 20 metres, when in fact I had my crutch one side, my daughter the other and had to stop 3 times. She stated I had no trouble getting in and out of a chair, when infact I was like a beached whale in a armless chair and she had to pull me out!! particularly angry at her lie that I had no issues with memory, when infact I was diagnosed with oxygen damage after 3 weeks on life support and only got 2 parts out of 3 right on memory test. I was shocked that for the 8 years prior to this I had been allowed high rate mobility and suddenly low rate. I asked for papers to be looked at again, same result. I was warmed they may take money off me if I asked for an appeal and couldn't risk losing even more, foolishly I now think. I read an article the other day that pip have been found to have been unfair allocating mobility levels and wondered if anyone knew wether it would be practical to ask them to reconsider my case? Tia

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Judith

When did you receive your MR decision letter ?
    Normally, you have one month from the date of the letter to submit an appeal to tribunal, however a late application can be made up to 13 months with good reason.
    There is plenty of info on here about the appeal process.

DLA and PIP use different criteria for awards, PIP is mainly about functionality rather than your condition.

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. a good place to start is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

While it is true that an appeal can reduce your current award, the judge should warn you in advance if they belive this may be the case, giving you the option to withdraw.

The mobility component requires that you can complete the activity, Safely, reliably, to an acceptable standard and in a timely manner and do so on the majority of days. You are also required to be able to stand and then move, so if standing is an issue for you then this should also be mentioned

Please have a look around and come back with any questions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.