Speech and language
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Stutter

motherscuffermotherscuffer Member Posts: 27 Courageous
edited November 2017 in Speech and language
Hi, my 4 year old has agenesis of the corpus callosum and has recently developed a stutter. Aside from giving him time to find his words, is there anything else I can do to help and support him? 

Replies

• Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @motherscuffer have you seen a speech therapist? My daughter saw one when she was about 4 and they were lovely, it was all play based and she loved going.  I got a referral through my health visitor.

There is some information on stuttering here too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • motherscuffermotherscuffer Member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @motherscuffer have you seen a speech therapist? My daughter saw one when she was about 4 and they were lovely, it was all play based and she loved going.  I got a referral through my health visitor.

There is some information on stuttering here too.
    He does see a speech therapist, but not very often. He’s due to go soon which is good as it’s got worse since our last visit. 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Keep us updated and let us know how you get on, @motherscuffer!
    Keep us updated and let us know how you get on, @motherscuffer!
    Will do, thank you. 
  • NicolaLatheySLTNicolaLatheySLT Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Dear @motherscuffer,
    Sorry to hear you are worried about your son.  The leaflet that has been suggested above is the leaflet that all speech therapists give out when they see a child with a stammer as an initial referral because it gives the very best stammering advice.  I would strongly recommend that you call your speech therapist and tell them that you are worried, they may bring the review session closer.  Also, ask if there is a group that he could attend to have some regular input.
    Best of luck,

Nicola Lathey
    Independent S & L Therapist @ The Owl Centre
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: [email protected]
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    Dear @motherscuffer,
    Sorry to hear you are worried about your son.  The leaflet that has been suggested above is the leaflet that all speech therapists give out when they see a child with a stammer as an initial referral because it gives the very best stammering advice.  I would strongly recommend that you call your speech therapist and tell them that you are worried, they may bring the review session closer.  Also, ask if there is a group that he could attend to have some regular input.
    Best of luck,

Nicola Lathey
    Independent S & L Therapist @ The Owl Centre
    Thank you so much, I will have a read of the leaflet. I think his appointment is next week, but I will check! 
    Arthur has now been seen by his neurodisability consultant and they’ve arranged an MRI for him, which should be in the next few weeks. I also had a call from the eye department today after I complained to patient services about the two cancelled appointments and they’re going to see him tomorrow morning. Hopefully we’ll have positive news about him soon and we can stop worrying. 
  • NicolaLatheySLTNicolaLatheySLT Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Oh Gosh - we'll be thinking of you so please keep us updated.  Best wishes Nicola x
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: [email protected]
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    I’ve just realised we were talking about something completely different here! My brain is in a spin today and I’m a bit stressed. He’s seeing the speech therapist next week about his stutter, he’s also showing signs of a squint which is a symptom of optic tumours with his condition hence the other appointments! Xx
Sign in or join us to comment.