Change in circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change in circumstances

dannizebra3
dannizebra3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi there 

so I’m currently in receipt of standard daily living pip. My condition has declined and got worse so I have to have a face to face assessment again or can I just submit consultant letter? Also I get dislocations in all my joints my shoulders are very unstable and I’m struggling to use the gear stick etc can they provide me any support with that at all? I don’t get any rate Motability currently scored 2 points 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi dannizebra and welcome

How long is your current award for ?

If you submit a change of circumstance then you will most likely be called for a f2f assessment.

Your problems with the gear stick do not come under the help you can get.
    Mobility awards cover two areas
    Planning and following journeys and Moving around so unlikely from what you have said that you would score enough points for an award

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi dannizebra,

You don't mention any illnesses or difficulties that affect your ability to walk and if you have a physical illness that's the only way you are going to score points for mobility. You will need 8 points just to get the standard rate which means you cannot walk further than 50 metres. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• dannizebra3
    dannizebra3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I have a condition called ehlers Danlos Syndrome I get dislocations chronic pain etc often need crutches or wheelchair to get about. Already have a blue badge too. 

Didnt realise the award had had a time length??? Will check it out 

thank you 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    dannizebra3dannizebra3,

You can ask the DWP to look at your benefit when a change of circumstances makes you think your award should be different. That could mean that you should get the mobility component too (as Lee says, you have to score 8 points to get it, on the grounds of difficulty moving around and/or difficulty planning & following journeys). Or it could mean that you now meet the conditions for the enhanced rate daily living component. Or both!

As CR says, unfortunately most people who report a change of circumstances will be called for a face to face assessment, although it is possible that you'll be able to get a changed award based on evidence only - it just doesn't happen very often, so it's best to expect an assessment.

The other thing to think about is that you must have met the conditions for the higher award for at least 3 months in order to get more money. If you already have been this much worse for 3 months, then you could report the change straight away (you can't get backdated benefit if you report the change later than this), but on the other hand, if your award is time limited you might feel that you'd rather wait. It really is up to you, but do bear in mind that you can't get money for a past period if you report the change later than 3 months after you meet the conditions for the higher rate.

I would start off by using the PIP self-test to see how many points you think you should score in both daily living and mobility now, and how long you think you've been at that stage (I know this is very hard to assess). Keeping a diary can help too - related to the PIP activities & the difficulties you have with them. 

As CR says, difficulties with the gear stick wouldn't come into it, but might indicate you have difficulties with other things in the home, and the pain and risk of dislocation are both relevant to the moving around activity. If you can't move a certain distance without it being safe (ie without risk of dislocation), or without so much pain that you would have to stop, then I would expect you to score points - and how long it takes you to walk certain distances is also relevant.

Have a go at the test and then see what you think. 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.