narcolepsy/cataplexy and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

narcolepsy/cataplexy and PIP

teetee Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am a 51 year old Mother of 3. Nan of 8. I always worked as a carer in the community. Driving from house to house. This was 10 plus years ago. I started blacking out at the wheel. Maybe just for seconds but very scary. Then if I got emotional , IE laughed, cried, got angry or scared, I would fall to the ground or couch or wherever, but still remained aware of everything around me. Like loss of muscle tone. Anyway it turned out I had narcolepsy/cataplexy. Had to stop driving and work. Was put on dla middle rate care and low rate mobility. This has recently changed to pip. OMG guys. They have said I don't need care so put me on enhanced mobility. They have lied after face to face assessment and today have received refusal of mandatory consideration notice. My problem is they have dated it Oct. 27th and it's the 1st Dec. I only had 1 month to appeal to tribunal. Why do they do this to genuine people who would have loved to carry on working and being independent. I feel like I'm going mad .


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello teetee and welcome

    Late appeals can be submitted to the tribunal with good reason. Late receipt of the decision letter should be counted as good reason.

    You do not need to send a full submission , Just basic reasons for your appeal on form SSCS1

    There is plenty of info on here about the process, please have a look round and come back with your questions

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.