Festive Traditions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Festive Traditions

Pippa_Alumni
Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger

Christmas can be a difficult time of year for many disabled people, for many different reasons. Whilst it's important to acknowledge and address these issues, we thought it would also be nice to use the Online Community to reflect on some of the more positive elements of Christmas too. This week, we’d love to find out about any traditions you have for the festive season. Perhaps there’s a movie or TV programme that you look forward to watching, a particular decoration that you always display, a favourite food that you treat yourself to…

We’d love to hear all about your Christmas traditions. For me, the festive season doesn’t properly begin until I’ve watched the Elf movie at least once! 

Comments

• CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    When I was 10 we moved from West London to the south coast and the novelty of being so close to the beach was hugely exciting for my little sister and I.

The first Christmas Eve in our new house, my mum asked my dad to take us out the house to give her some peace and quiet to prep everything for the big day and so Dad, Grandad, Karys and I wrapped up warm and headed for Hayling Island. We had a long and freezing cold walk by the sea that ended in the pub! 

For the past 15 years the four of us have made our annual Christmas Eve trip to the beach, and now we enjoy a mulled wine at the end instead of a Panda Pop! 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    For the past 4 years, my family go and help out at a charity on Christmas Eve, they put on a brilliant christmas day for anyone who would be alone otherwise and so we go and help peel veg, wrap presents and decorate the church hall.  

It has become a lovely tradition for us and has taught our kids about helping others and that christmas is about kindness and love, not just presents and chocolate!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, since I moved to Birmingham over 20 years ago now we have spent the Xmas Period around my wife’s family.  

Over that time we have had “many many” changes in personal. I tend to become unwell as a tradition & I normally find “help & support” very very patchy indeed.  

My best experience was when I had to travel by bus (10 mins) to my local pharmacy “urgently”  This was the last time we had a good dose of snow!!!!! 

I managed to get my Meds in the end but I became stranded in the snow!!!!

All off the buses/taxis got taken off the road leaving me stranded in a “pub”

I supposed there isn’t a better place to be “stranded” I was “ok” as I was warm & surrounded with alcohol & food (heaven) 

I did manage to get home in the end. I now have my own children so Christmas is very different but we still make the annual visit to my in laws.

A very very Merry Xmas & New Year to everyone!!!!!!!
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I have very few memories of Christmas as a child, and the ones I have are not that wonderful. So when my wife became pregnant I promised myself that there was one gift I would always give my child around Christmas.

Her first Christmas she was in hospital, she was born on Christmas Eve, but I still managed to keep my promise.

Every year I make sure she gets as much of my time as wanted, and to do what she wanted. Over the years it has been a lot of fun, from putting the pink power ranger on top of the tree, preparing a place for Jesus to join in with his birthday party if he wanted, being caught watching Aristocrats in the middle of the night eating toast.  More recently watching the Doctor Who christmas special, playing cards against humanity, destroying the world with a game of Virus and other such wonderful pursuits. Last year it included ten packets of pigs in blankets to go with our late night/early morning film watching.

I did suggest something new this year, doing the washing up after Christmas dinner, so mum could have a rest. My daughter looked at me and said 'and that is why I pick what we do.'

Silly daddy!

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have some wonderful memories of Xmas when my children were young. We used to try to spend Xmas Eve all together and get out all the Xmas goodies (edible ones) and set them up where everyone could take what they want. Starting on warm mince pies (though now they are almost too readily available). As they got older I would prepare, cook and host Xmas dinner even when I lived alone.

Now I'm mostly alone, left to sorting Xmas decorations down from the loft and set up by myself. I hate seeing Xmas movies now even though I used to love them (I hate all the happy endings). I have no way of managing Xmas dinner or hosting the family but couldn't cope even if I did have the opportunity.

I guess I no longer have any traditions and I really miss it all.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.