What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Im losing my home

I got overpaid tax credits they didnt inform me till an rediculous amout now they have took have my tax credits to pay back not payed up till april so no housig benefit only 50p towards so i have to find rest which has caused arrears which now ive got eviction notice im in a housing association propertyi have 4 kids 


  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
    Hi @Jessabell2017
    Please go and speak to CAB if they double check your case. 
  • Jessabell2017Jessabell2017 Member Posts: 10 Listener
    None open anymore so what do i do tried ringin u was on all day didnt get thru
  • izaiza Member Posts: 471 Pioneering
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @Jessabell2017 Sorry to chip in but my son and family are paying back an overpayment and have been for some years now. You can ring Tax Credits and arrange a smaller amount to pay back, no more than you can afford. You have to fill in a form I think about your income and expenditure to prove you can't afford what they're taking off you. Please find some help with doing this if you're struggling. Hope that helps.. 
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jessabell2017

    How are things today ????

    Please please let me know if I can help you ???

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi @Jessabell2017

    An eviction notice needs dealing with immediately and by a professional. You can find details of housing advisers local to you using the tool on Shelter's website http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_services_directory my advice is keep calling round until you find one that can take you case on as a legal aid case. You may also be able to find benefits advisers in your area through this - also your housing association may have some (they're normally called Money Advisers but sometimes do benefits too).

    With your Tax Credits, @Wildlife is quite right that the HMRC should reduce deductions where this is causing hardship, but it is quite unusual for them to stop a claim altogether - make sure that your claim is actually still live, as if not this could cause further issues for you. This needs to be your number 2 priority after the eviction, as with 4 children you will not be able to survive without your tax credits.

    With your Housing Benefit - is this at 50p because you are subject to the Benefit Cap? If so then it's worth asking your council to consider a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover at least some of your rent. Even if you've been turned down, I would reapply making the point that you have an eviction notice due to rent arrears and 4 children who could be made homeless.

    Let us know how you get on - absolutely anything further you need to know please do get back in touch!

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.