're carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

're carers allowance

Hi my name is Sharon. I care for my 14yr old disabled son. I work part time just to give me a bit of me time. Unfortunately  I'm going to have to give in my job. Myself I get pip as I have arthritis,  fibromyalgia,  oesteo arthritis, severe mental problems. I wondered if I could get carers allowance for my son how much are you allowed to earn 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sharonhenson1973
    Welcome to the community, there is some information here about carers allowance: Hope this helps :)

    You could get £62.70 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

    You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

    You won’t be paid extra if you care for more than one person.
    Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person you care for get. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.


    The person you care for

    The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment


    You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
    • you’re not subject to immigration control
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.