Expressing Type 1 diabetes through art — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Expressing Type 1 diabetes through art

Options
PoppyNash
PoppyNash Community member Posts: 1 Listener

My name is Poppy and I am a visual artist originally from London, and working and living in Glasgow. I came up to go to the Glasgow School of Art and have never left because I love it so much. I use mainly textile printing as my medium, but I also like paper printing and sewing.

Next year will be my 20th anniversary of being diabetic.  It feels like a long time.  About four years ago, I went through a stressful period.  It was during my final year at Art School and my sugar levels were going bananas - but I knew I had to make some work for my degree show - but I felt so ill and so consumed with all this diabetes nonsense. I had just read Yayoi Kusama's book called ‘Infinity Nets’ where she talks about repeating words because the repetition takes the fear out of them, so I just sat down and started writing out my blood test results: I sat at my desk for about a week, and just wrote out numbers.  And somehow I liked it and it made me feel better. So then I started printing the numbers.  Then I started making those printed numbers into clothing.  And here I am four years later and I have just finished a commission from ‘Shape Arts’ essentially based on drawing out numbers and using them as a way of communicating the intrusive nature of diabetes and how it affects every aspect of your life.

headshot of woman with short blonde hair wearing a black and white stripy shirt

Working on art/design work in relation to my diabetes made me understand what I thought about having a long-term condition, because in order to make a good project, I had to sit down and think about it. in With most creative people, they think about their projects all the time so I guess I’ve now been walking around spending a lot of time thinking about how I feel about it. 

textile art featuring words and numbers applied over black material placed on a table

I don’t like being diabetic: I wish it would go away. But it won’t, so for now I think it’s a good subject to focus on. I think creating my work about it will hopefully help bring more awareness to Diabetes Type1 and to the impact that invisible Disabilities have on people’s lives in general.  I like printing and making things and looking at colours but I think whether or not I was diabetic I would like that stuff anyway - it’s just the thing I think I am supposed to be doing.  Creating and making things always makes me feel better, so I guess if the intrinsic value I get from making things can rub off onto how I feel about being diabetic, it can only be a good thing.

November 22nd- December 22nd is Disability History Month, with this year's focus being on disability and art. Do you use creativity in a way to express or help you cope with managing your condition?  If you do, I would be really interested to hear about it: leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.