Is tinnitus caused by medication — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Is tinnitus caused by medication

Dianna Member Posts: 4 Listener
I've had tinnitus for years but it has got worse over the years.  I'm on pregabalin and it got worse. When I try to think about things of when I go to bed it can be really bad. My psycuatrist told me to go to my gp but I put off going  should I go and get referd to the hospital. Is this something I could get tested at say specsaveres at part of a hearing test.sirryca but garbled . Not good at explaining 


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    It's possible, yes. And it's what happened to me.
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Member Posts: 69 Courageous

    Hi @Dianna

    Tinnitus is very common and varies in severity so that many people aren’t particularly aware or bothered by the noises, to those who find it very troublesome and causes problems concentrating and sleeping. Tinnitus is often related to stress and anxiety which can be quite a vicious circle - where stress causes the tinnitus to get louder, causing more stress, causing it to get louder etc. There are hundreds of drugs known to cause tinnitus or hearing loss (known as ototoxic medications) but it’s also possible that the tinnitus is related to any underlying conditions the medication is taken for or other stresses in life which vary for us all from time to time. 

    I think your psychiatrists advice is good. Ask your GP to refer you to your local audiology department at the hospital. If you have one locally ask to be referred to a Hearing Therapist. The audiologist or therapist will arrange hearing tests and an assessment of your tinnitus and can then help you with tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) or other strategies to help reduce the volume and annoyance of your tinnitus and learn to live with it better. A high street store like Specsavers can do a hearing test for you but for specialist advice with tinnitus you will be better going straight to the hospital audiology clinic. 

    All the best


  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Mine has increased over the years. I did discuss it with a doctor but he was rather dismissive and just kept saying there was no treatment for it. I think this is an untrue statement but am not certain. However, there was no mention of it being made worse by medication which, considering how many medications I have taken over he last decade, is not particularly good support. I am not particularly surprised at the poor support. Almost every doctor I have seen has refused to look through my noted. Considering how unique my condition is not looking at my notes makes it impossible for them to consider any treatment or medication with any idea of whether it will be beneficial or not.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi @topkitten

    Whilst it's true that there is no cure for tinnitus, it isn't true that there is no treatment for it that can really help relieve the symptoms. Unfortunately we hear GPs and other doctors say to a lot of people that nothing can be done about it. Persevere, use the advice I gave @Dianna above and please ask for a referral. We can definitely help make living with tinnitus easier and quieter. 

    Also so try calling the British Tinnitus Association helpline who will have plenty of advice to help too 

    All the best



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.