Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is Anniejay!

I was wondering if someone could advise me  regarding applying for a disabled parking permit .. I’m not registered disabled.   I have Polymyalgia rheumatica  and pretty severe Osteosrthritis can only walk VERY short distances with the aid of 2 crutches .   Someone told me recently that as I’m not registered disabled I don’t stand a chance of getting a blue badge.   I don’t really know how to start the ball rolling.  Any advice would be welcome thanks 


  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Anniejay and welcome to the community.

    No you don't have to be registered as disabled. You used to have to but certainly haven't for at least five  years. So you have been advised wrongly.

    Automatic Qualification in England if you are:

    • Registered blind
    • Receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement;
    • Receiving a Personal Independence Payment for being unable to walk further than 50 metres that means a score of 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component;
    • Has received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation Scheme) and has been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
    Other qualification criteria
    • Permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult
    • Severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter
    You just need to be able to prove what you are saying. You can apply for a blue badge online at

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • AnniejayAnniejay Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Oh thank you so
    much for that information.(  It’s all a foreign language to me at the moment.)  Should I have a letter from my GP. Or Reumatologist ?   Or does that come later do you know ..  

  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Anniejay and welcome to the community. I can't begin to improve on the reply from @Geoark but just wanted to say 'hi'. Very best wishes to you,

  • AnniejayAnniejay Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Richard. All the very best to you too .. Merry Christmas
  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you, @Anniejay. I wish you the best possible Christmas and New Year.
    Take good care of yourself.

  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi anniejay and welcome

    you can apply to your local council for a BB they all have different qualification criteria.

    Have you applied for PIP ?
    You might well be eligable for some award. Try takig the B&W self test to  see


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • AnniejayAnniejay Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks you CR.    ..   no I’ve never applied for any benefit.  I don’t work anyway as I’m retired. But I’ll check that site out thank you
Sign in or join us to comment.