Help , Benefit advice gratefully recieved — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help , Benefit advice gratefully recieved

Our 19 Yr old Son who has spastic quad CP , Epilepsy and Severe Hydrocephalus is currently studying a foundation course at our local college , He is due to turn 20 at the end of March and we have been seeking advice re benefits for months and seem to be getting nowhere
We currently receive PIP at the higher rate for both components , Carers Allowance , Child & Working tax credits and Child Benefit which are both due to end in March.
Our Son is currently struggling at college and would like to leave as the stress is bringing on more health issues but we are unsure as to what his entitlements are
Many thanks in advance


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Once he leaves college and benefits for him stop then he'll be entitled to means tested benefits in his own right. If your area is a full universal credit are then it would be this he'll need to claim. If it's not then he would claim ESA. For either of these a fit/sick note would be required. ESA payments can start as quick as 3 weeks but Universal Credit there's a 6 week wait. You can put your postcode into this to see what's in your area.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.