I find Christmas really difficult — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I find Christmas really difficult

Options
Gillian
Gillian Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in Coffee lounge
Hi I find Christmas really difficult and spend most of "The holiday season's on my own,my choice I have borderline personality disorder and prefer to be on my own,yes it does make my depression worse a d I often want to self harm,but that's the way it goes and I have to get used to the fact that I am not a people person

Comments

• Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Gillian
    Yes a lot of us find Xmas a difficult time of the year for various reasons. Personally I think it is over hyped anyway. It it is nice for young children and families. But really it all boils down to barely one day and it’s sales on Boxing Day if you haven’t already put an order in on Xmas day!

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Xmas is a difficult time for most disabled. It also tends to begin a day or two before Xmas day with people celebrating and goes on until people go back to work after new year. There are many combinations as separated families generally cause it to be extended.

There is no easy way to handle it and we all come up with different solutions. Just understand that you are not alone and, using this sort of site, can stay in contact with like-minded people.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • DenceNucliaAtom
    DenceNucliaAtom Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    I also find Christmas hard. Ive spent it alone for a while now. "what are you doing for Christmas" or "how was your Christmas" is such a common question people ask like ur expected to celebrate it. When I reply saying I did nothing. its like im instantly judged. either that or I have to hear how amazing there was and how they spent It with there family. I spent it alone on the sofa watching films and eating nice food! which I really enjoyed. I hate the pressure susiaty puts on people. People with disabilities find enjoyment and contentment in different way. 
    I shouldn't have to receive sympathy for being on my own. I enjoy it. and even though I lost my job in December and my life has crumbled under me. I still had a good Christmas alone.

(I secretly wish my family where here) I still had a good time on my own though.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.