Help please — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Help please

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've been on esa for about 2 years now and when I first got accepted I was single. After a while i met someone and we moved in together so I did the right thing and called them to notify them of change of address ands circumstances. A few months later i had to have a face to face assessment which my partner attended with me.  I have since moved again with the same partner so I called them again to let them know change of address again. This time when I mentioned my partner they claimed I had never notified them of this. Which I most certainly did! They explained they have been overpaying me because of this and that I will have to pay it back! I'm barely coping as it is. Today a very very rude woman called me from esa and said a form was going to be sent to me and that I will most definitely have to pay the overpayment back. I asked why when I know i had notified them. She shouted at me saying that unless i have proof I will have to pay. She also hung up the phone on me leaving me shaking crying and scared if I'm honest. Can someone please help me. I've tried to do the right thing and feel I'm being punished for it.  I completely understand if they need to cut my payments down but not the paying it back for their mistake! 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi catherz

    You should get face to face trained advice from CAB or similar as soon as possible

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Do you still have a copy of any paperwork mentioning your partner either the change of address notification or anything from your last assessment which your partner attended.
    if so,send a photocopy to them with a letter explaining by recorded delivery.
    Do Not Send Original by post you may not see it again.
    you could also try and dig out any Letters from whoever conducted the assessment it may be mentioned in their report.
    Hope you manage to get it sorted.Remember to keep copies of all correspondence 
  • catherz17
    catherz17 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I unfortunately didn't keep a copy and the first time I notified them was just over the phone. I'm really scared.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.