Contribution based ESA question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contribution based ESA question

Options
michaelcyaine
michaelcyaine Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I had an incomplete NI Contribution year 2014/2015. I have been told I can apply successfully in January of 2018 for Contribution based ESA but only told in mid January so, what date do I need to apply from please? My Fit Note is still up to date until first week in February and have had notice to say it has been received. I'll health stopped me from working at my last job in March of 2017
Regards 
Mr M Bajor 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi michaelcyaine - if you have been told that your national insurance history will allow you to make a successful claim for contribution based ESA from January 18, then I see no reason for you not to apply straight away. The first Sunday in January counts as the start of a new benefit year, which means that the tax years which are considered for your ESA claim move on by one year. The first Sunday this year was the 7th January, so your claim must NOT start before then. Make sure that your fit notes stay up to date as your ESA claim progresses. Remember that if you are eventually placed into the work-related activity group (as opposed to the support group), then you are only entitled to contribution based ESA for a total of one year, and that includes any weeks spent in the assessment phase (i.e before a decision is made about your capacity for work). So for instance, if you spend 6 months in the assessment phase, and then get put into the ESA work-related activity group, you would only be able to stay on contributory ESA for a further six months. If your illness or disability permits, it's better to try and get into the support group if appropriate, as there is no time limiting. There is an excellent ESA resource on the Disability Rights UK website: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview. Good luck with your claim!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.