ESA(CB) with working partner with savings — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA(CB) with working partner with savings

fruitbat Member Posts: 1 Listener
Husband recently rejoined the household. He received ESA(CB) as a single person. Now he has moved back in he rang DWP to let them know we were now claiming Tax credits etc as a couple. They asked him to submit ESA3. I work 22.5 hours a week and have savings over 16000. Will this trigger a change from ESA(CB) to ESA(IR)? If so he will lose all his ESA.


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fruitbat, and welcome to the community! A Benefits Advisor will be in touch with you as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may like to have a go with the online benefits calculator to see if this gives any indication of what the outcome may be. Hope this helps!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello fruitbat

    An ESA3 form is  a change of circumstances form.  It maybe that the DWP are checking to see if  cont. based and IR ESA can be awarded.  Given your savings however ESA (IR) will not be awarded.  

    ESA (cont) is non means tested and so your income and savings should not effect your husbands entitlement to cont. ESA. 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.