Blue badge renewal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge renewal

BettyG
BettyG Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My son has had a blue badge since he was 3 years old. He has had a number of difficulties including refusal to walk, mobility issues. dyspraxia, heart condition and was granted one of those grounds.
It has come up for renewal and I am looking to reapply. His physical issues have improved and he can walk when he chooses to. However, we rely upon using the car/parking close as we so often struggle to persuade him to walk/go out/do what he doesn't want to do and it is the only way to get him out of the house. I am concerned about ticking the box saying "I am over the age of two and have a permanent and substantial disability which means that I have very considerable difficulty in walking" as although physically he can walk, his behaviour, anxiety and stress prevent him from doing so.
Do you have any advice? Can I tick the box as his behaviour leads to that or is it wrong to say that?
I have read so many horror stories of people being prosecuted for fraudulently claiming disability benefits etc that I am concerned to be 100%.
 accurate.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @BettyG

I suggest you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • BettyG
    BettyG Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you- will do.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BettyG, I've moved this post into ask a benefits advisor, so no need for you to re-post. Hopefully an adviser will be in touch soon for some advice and reassurance. In the meantime, you may like to check out the Citizens Advice guidance on filling out a Blue Badge application: there's some great in-depth information on there which you may find helpful!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi BettyG

You automatically qualify for the Blue Badge if you get an appropriate disability benefit like Disability Living Allowance higher rate mobility and certain types of Personal Independence Payment awards.

If you do not get a qualifying benefit the local authority can still award a Blue Badge but this is on a discretionary basis. You should describe your circumstances to the local authority as best you can. As i do not know your case it is difficult for me to advise how you should answer the questions i'm afraid.  However, i notice the question you have stated makes no reference to physical impairment and so it would not seem to be incorrect if someone ticked this box based on a mental health issue. But i would suggest you look at the notes closely before continuing.

Thanks
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.